Friday, April 25, 2008

One Sunday morning @ Geylang Market

It is my monthly routine to do marketing at the well-known Geylang Market. Just love its fresh products. Be it the fishes or the dried fish...everything are fresh and the most important thing, its cheap. Well not so cheap but cheaper than our neighbourhood pasar lah.

As usual, I would reached there early, around 7am on Sunday morning. Yess, I do go there very early to avoid those big-sized makciks with their trolley. They are big-sized and kaki gaduh also ok. Tak boleh langgar sikit sure nak marah. Ok, back to my marketing story, I would go round the fish stalls, looking at all the fishes, asking the price, tekan here and there and back to the usual stall that I had always bought from. Well that's women thingy..Pusing2 still buy at her favourite stall.

To be honest, I am really a dumbo when choosing fish. I mean how to see whether the fish is fresh. Ive been told to look at the gills (pink or red?), tekan the fish a bit - whether it bounce back. (Weeii..aku tekan kena marah dgn apek ok!). Whatever it is, I always chose the one that looks either hensem or jambu to me. As long as the eyes are shiny, no scratches on the body, I'm happy and it solves my problem.

As usual, I would ask the Apek to cut the fish. However this time round the fish was quite big. I remembered, there is a term where our mother usually would say to cut the fish smaller. While I was in the queue, I saw the Apek cut one of the makcik's fish not with the usual slice but with another version. While waiting, I put on my thinking cap for a while and Bingo!..I remembered the term and it was my turn. With full confidence I said, "Apek potong KELING!"..and all the makcik looked at me. A nice middle aged makcik beside me said,"Nak, bukan potong keling, potong kari. Apek lu potong kari utk dia. Kecik2 skit eh.." The rest of the makciks were either smiling or giggling. Hubby was already..giggling behind me. Aiyoooo..at that moment I just felt like hiding my head inside my shirt but pretend cool. So nice of that makcik to help me instead of laughing. I love you lah makcik! Tak guna punya thinking cap, next time pakai Nike cap lagi bagus.

Therefore you out there, jangan nak sengeh2 eh. Lain kali ingat, mana ada ikan potong keling. Keling potong ikan ada lah..but..but..it doesnt make sense. Why potong kari? It should be potong keling lah..meaning cut just like the Indians. Right?

Anyway I know I'm at fault, I shouldn't have said Keling..so sorry..I should have said India. Me so blunt lah. So, dear friends, never make the same mistake as I did. Silap2 kena lempar dgn selipar..hehe

No comments: